Sweet Itch in horses, ponies, and donkeys is an allergic response to the saliva in the bite of the Culicoides midge (gnat, no-see-um, punky) and to a lesser degree, the black fly (simulium equinum), horn fly, and stable fly which gives rise to intense itching. Alternative names for Sweet Itch are IBH (insect bite hypersensitivity), Queensland Itch, Equine Summer Itch, and SSRD (summer seasonal recurrent dermatitis).
Killitch is the only fully licensed and scientifically proven treatment to prevent and treat Sweet Itch in horses and ponies! This product has just become available in the United States, and we are the first place you can order it online!
- Proven to prevent sweet itch.
- AVM-GSL licensed product with active ingredient benzyl benzoate in a soothing lotion, specially formulated for horses.
- If used as a preventative measure in early Spring prior to the symptoms becoming evident, the condition may not take hold.
- Apply to all affected areas by rubbing in with fingers or soft cloth as soon as sweet itch is diagnosed and for the remaining part of the sweet itch season.
- Initial application of Killitch (75ml) should be made twice daily, reducing to once daily and then 3-4 times a week as the irritation lessens.
- All affected areas should be kept clean by shampooing and rinsing well at least once a week. After shampooing or heavy exercise, re-apply to ensure adequate protection.
- With horses which are known to suffer from sweet itch, it is recommended that Killitch is applied in the early spring before symptoms become evident, so that the condition may never take a hold.
- Benzyl benzoate 25% w/v - a creamy white soothing lotion.
- AVM-GSL – Authorised Veterinary Medicine - General Sales List. This denotes a licensed medicinal product which has undergone rigorous testing for safety, efficacy and quality.
UK authorised veterinary medicinal product